Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Conversation of the Day

I went to 7-11 early this morning, about 3:30ish, in need of some Gatorade. There's an old woman who works there that time of morning. By old I mean about 70 or so. Now you have to assume that a 70 year old woman working the grave yard shift at 7-11 must be a bit crazy to begin with. I grab my Gatorade and approach the counter where she is there to check me out. On a side note she talks pretty slow, or she talks on an average pace for a 70 year old lady.

old lady - How are you today?

me - I'm fine, how are you?

old lady - I'm doing good. Do you know much about history?

me - Huh?

old lady - Do you know much about history?

me - Huh? Um... I know a bit. Why?

old lady - Let me ask you... Can you tell me the most important historical event ever in the history of Utah?

me - Huh? Utah? ... Yeah okay. I would probably say when Brigham Young led the Mormons from Pennsylvania.

old lady - nope.

*awkward pause*

me - okay, um, what is it then.

old lady - well is that all you got?

Keep in mind I would like to just pay for my stuff and leave now and not have to answer random obscure state trivia. And I really can't think of anything more important to a state than when a mass of people came to found it.

me - yeah, that's all I got.

old lady - It's the "Golden Spike". You know, the railroads. East meets west.

I know what she talking about, when the connected the first transcontinental railroad. And right now, at this point in my life, while I'm just trying to buy some Gatorade, there is nothing less significant than when they connect the first transcontinental railroad.

old lady - Of course the spike isn't still there anymore, they got it in a museum now.

No comments: