Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sexual Harasment

At FedEx there is a position call a "pick off". There is a conveyor belt which moves along in front of each loading area. This belt moves packages that are too big, or long, wierd shaped to go through the system in the normal fashion. The role of a pick off is to stand at this belt, scan the packages and "pick them off" and set them in front of the appropriate trailer to be loaded. Because this is a lower impact, less physically demanding job the position is typically filled by women. Now I'm not saying that women are too inferior to do other jobs, and there are several women who do a great job loading, unloading, etc. But most women that get hired don't have the strength to be able to do the more physically demanding jobs for an extended period of time. In fact, it too physically demanding for a lot of guys too.

Anyways, I have a pick off that works for me. Her name is Candice, she's around 24 years old I guess, and as far as I can tell is a really nice, sweet girl. At the end of work this morning a guy from another area who was on his way out called me over. I was in the middle of working but I thought it might be important so I dropped what I was doing and walked over there.

"I never noticed this before but your pick off has some really nice tits."

Now what the hell am I suppose to say here? His comment actually made me feel awkward and offended. If Candice was a trashy girl then I probably wouldn't have felt as offended, but she's not. Now every time I see that guy I'm going to feel a little awkward even though I'm not the one who was sexually harassed.

3 comments:

Steve Heyduck said...

If this guy is your superior, then you are a victim of sexual harassment. Les so than she would be had he said this to her, but you ahve, none the less, been put in a rather awkward position.

Kyle Howton said...

He wasn't my superior he is technically under me, but in a different area so not my underling.

On a side note, you type "ahve" instead of the word "have". I do this about 50% of the time I type the word have. It's nice to know I'm not the only one making that mistake.

Actually, I went back and re-read this comment before posting it and I did it again.

Anonymous said...

I like that this is labeled under "nice tits". You should have told him he had a nice package, then walked away, then everyone would be uncomfortable. Everyone wins!