Sunday, June 22, 2008

How to Hijack a Worship Service

This is the third straight mission trip where worship was really lacking and needed to be fixed. And I have no problem hijacking a worship if needed. Going into the trip I was a little concerned because I was pretty certain that no one who was coming on the trip would be capable of leading worship. But I wasn't too worried because I was pretty sure that our host church had a praise band and it seemed reasonable that, on at least one or two nights, it could be arranged to have them play. My worst fears were confirmed on Sunday night worship when the CD started up and we began singing to a live version of a David Crowder song. Nothing against Crowder or his live versions, but "canned music" no way to conduct a worship. Not only was the lack of live music hindering the worship experience but the mood was completely wrong as well. Each night the atmosphere in the sanctuary was one of hyperness and mild chaos. Part of this was the fact that the kids came straight from their evening activity to worship, but a larger part was there was nothing being done to "create a mood". Through the first three nights of the trip, worship severely lacked any spiritual impact.

I mentioned to the program coordinator at the beginning of the week that I was willing to speak one night at worship if needed. She jumped at the chance as if having other people speak hadn't yet crossed her mind, and asked I would speak on Wednesday night. After worship on Monday[1], the center director and I had a discussion about how the trip was going so far and among my list of complaints/suggestions was worship. She agreed that worship was bad and needed a lot to turn it around. After yet another disappointing worship on Tuesday, she pulled me aside and asked what I could do to "save" worship. I was already on the case because I refuse to attach myself to something that is half-assed. If I'm going to speak on Wednesday night, I'm going to make sure the whole thing is good.

We needed a band. There was no way around it. I could dim the lights, add candles, speak softer, but nothing would be enough if I couldn't get a band. Getting someone to play would normally be an easy task. I know plenty of people who can play and could lead worship, the problem was every single one of them was on mission trip already. I did no one other guy. I wasn't sure how good he was since he primarily plays base, but I knew that he knew the songs. I made the call. I explained the situation to Nick, offered to buy him a tank of gas, and without a second thought Nick agreed to play. Not only that but he decided it was best to bring along his friend Barry to handle the guitar. They arrived in Canton about 8:30pm and things were underway. I tried to keep the program director in the loop at first, but as it got closer to show time I gradually made more and more executive decisions and changes without worrying about informing her.

As the kids entered the sanctuary Wednesday evening to the sound of Nick's soft piano playing[2] and lighting so dim you could barely see to write, there was an adult stationed at the door informing them to just sit on the floor between the first pew and the alter and to maintain an attitude of worship. Kids quietly filed in and all easy fit in the limited floor space. For the first time that week, no one spoke above a whisper and no one needed to be remained to take of their hat. They all sat quietly filling out their journals. Once it was time, Nick stopped playing the piano and him and Barry took their seats directly in front of the kids. We did two songs and then broke them off into "team time" to allow a debriefing of the week thus far. Team time turned fairly emotional for several which may be a direct result of the mood already created. After team time, two youth wanted to say a brief something about their client and offer up a prayer. Nick and Barry played one more song before Leslie read scripture and I gave the message.

The setting was very, very casual and intimate. This must have played on me as well because my message came off in a very causal, conversational way. I usually strive to deliver in a conversational way, but this was far more casual than I had ever been before. I was actually pretty under-prepared to speak because I was more focused on the other details of worship. But I ended up giving one of my longer sermons and I never felt like I began to ramble or repeat myself. It was very fluid and natural and I'm still a little amazed at how the whole night came out.

For me, worship that night was the most meaningful part of the trip. We needed a turn around and we needed it then. I certainly couldn't have engineered such a 360 on my own and I feel like God must have dabbled a little bit to help us out. It was amazing to watch things come together the way they did in such a short time frame. And of course a special thanks must go out to Nick and Barry who did us a huge favor[3].


1. It should be pointed out that the poor worship was of no fault of the speakers. It was the music and atmosphere that was the problem.
2. Which was pure improv. We made the decision to do this about two minutes before show time. Nick is pretty bad ass on the piano.
3. Barry got off work at 6:00pm and Nick had to go into work at 6:30am. Saginaw is about two hours from Canton. They willing sacrificed a good amount of sleep just to do me a solid.

No comments: