Monday, April 27, 2009

CRASH BAM BOOM

… is not the sound my truck made as it hit the wall. It was actually more of a crunch sound. There wasn’t a single dry part of I-35 as I made my trek to San Antonio. In fact it was horrendously pouring in some parts. As I entered New Bransfels it was raining hard, but not crazy hard. Nonetheless, I felt the slickness of the roads beneath my tires and decided it best to pay close attention to my truck and the road. Hands at 10 and 2, eyes straight ahead, cell phone out of sight, radio turned down. I felt safe with my speed 50-55mph because I was getting passed on both sides. I drove in the right-middle lane of the four lane section of I-35 and ended up crossing the two lanes to my left before crunching the wall. What happened? I simply lost control. My truck hydroplaned and I was left helpless as I spun a full 360 narrowly missing an 18-wheeler.

The point of impact was my front driver’s side corner. The bumper is crushed in and pressing against the tire. The good news is I am not writing this from a hospital ER but rather from the lobby of Tri-County Collision. Gerry at Tri-County will look at my truck first thing in the morning and I’ll know the verdict then. I am fine and have no pain at all, so no worries there.

The weird part though is my reaction as it started to happen. I can distinctly remember saying to myself, “Well, this is happening” as I begun my spin. I never tensed up at all and I can remember feeling very calm as I spun into the wall. I’m not sure how to feel about my complete lack of fear while this happened. Several people now have said, “wow, I bet that was scary,” and I’ve agreed with each of them. But in fact, I wasn’t scared at all. I wonder why. How could I not be terrified? Wouldn’t everyone else? Weird.

No comments: