Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Hue is on first

I had an interview today for a promotion with in Fed Ex. I have been doing double shifts 2 nights a week, working on two different belts and the interview was to make me full time rather than part time. On a side note, when I person is first hired they are assigned to a Load Coach who is to teach the new hire to load. They are in training with the Load Coach for three weeks and then they are done with them. My Load Coach was an Asian guy named Hue (pronounced just like the English name Hugh). Here is part of the conversation of my interview with a Hub Manager.

Manager: "So you have been doing double shifts on Blue belt and Purple belt, that means your supervisors are Mark and... uhh..."

Me: "Mike"

Manager: "Yeah, Mike, that's right. And who was your load coach?"

Me: "Hue."

Manager: "Your Load Coach, who was it?"

Me: "Yeah, that's right."

Manager: "No, I am asking who your Load Coach was."

Me: "Hue."

Manager: "You know, the person that trained you to load when you first started."

Me: "Hue was my load coach."

Manager: "I don't know who your Load Coach was, you should remember that."

Me: "Yeah, Hue was."

Manager: "Do you remember what he looked like?"

Me: "Yeah, the Asian guy."

Manager: "Oh, that's Hue."

You could see it here, when the light went off. He sat for a second as if he was pondering some deep philosophical concept. The he resumed eye contact with me and looked moderately ticked off.

Me: "Oh come on, that was pretty good."

He was definitely not amused. I think he thought I was trying to make a fool out of him... and in hind sight I guess I was. But I got the promotion anyways.


*Disclaimer: The previous conversation may have never actually taken place. This could be one of those cases where I thought of something really funny to say 30 minutes later.

No comments: