Saturday, October 08, 2005

Phrases I Hate to Hear

"Get er done." - I'll put this one first because I think the reasons for hatred are obvious.

"Cain't" or "Dain't" - As in "I cain't do this" or "I dain't seen that." I assume these 'words' are formed by combining the words can't and ain't (which isn't actually a word either), or didn't and ain't, respectively. This bothers me because the use of these word would instantly force someone to assume that you are just poor white trash (or poor black trash, whatever).

"I done did that already" - Please choose which form of the word you want to use. Either "I did that, or I've done that." But please, don't combine the two.

Exccessive and unnecessary use of the word 'Fuck' - I once heard someone say "Yesterday I fucking went to the fucking mall with my fucking gradnmother." This is just not needed. I can see some situations when the use of the word could be appropriate, as in "I hate the fucking Yankees," but in this case, I think the word 'fucking', is not the best word to describe your grandmother. The use of curse words, besides being offensive, are a sign of ignorance, as in, you aren't able to find a better use of words to more clearly illustrate what you are saying.

"God D***" - This is certainly the most offensive of all cussing. I find it so offensive that I won't even type the whole thing. I have a friend who uses this phrase way too much, and I have to control my urge to slap her and scream at her.

No comments: