Saturday, October 01, 2005

Top 10 Things I Hate In Baseball:

Top 10 Things I Hate In Baseball:

10. Manny Ramirez's baggy pants.
9. The surplus in homeruns over the last few years.
8. The way teams don't "manufacture runs" anymore.
7. The fact that a players worth is measured primarily by power numbers, and seem to discount other important factors, such as fielding, clutch hitting, etc.*
6. John Hart, Rangers GM.
5. The Fact that the Rangers never make the effort to build a team, rather they are content at staying status quo, and hoping for a miracle.
4. Roger Clemens.
3. Alex Rodriguez, a.k.a. Ass-Rod.
2. Barry Bonds.
1. The Yankees, oh my, how I hate the Yankees.

* Note on #7:
This year's MVP seems like it may go to A-Rod. The other prime candidates that are getting mentioned are David Ortiz, and Manny Ramirez. But what really irks me is that neither Mark Teixeria or Michael Young have been mentioned. Let's consider the factors. Factor in clutch hitting: Young hits .376 with runner in scoring position, Texiera .361, Ortiz .350, and A-Rod .290. Runner in scoring position, two outs: A-Rod .302, Texiera .313, Ortiz .357, and Young... are you ready for this....458. It would seem as though Mike Young gets better, as the pressure gets tougher. And if you didn't know, he is set to win the AL batting championship.

You may have noticed that I didn't mention Manny's stats. That's because I think Manny is a joke to ever be considered as an MVP. The reason being, I think defense counts, and therefore Manny doesn't. And if you disagree, you think he's not a joke, then watch him field, you'll laugh your ass off. Since it's well known that Ortiz is a DH, young is better at short than A-Rod, A-Rod is still an above average fielder; I will only talk of Tex's fielding. Actually, I won't say much, just that, if he doesn't win the gold glove for 1st base, I will be very, very, surprised. He scoops everything... seriously, everything.

Maybe you might want to consider the nice guy factor. Young and Tex, if you don't know are genuiue class-acts. Nice guys all the way. I can't speak much for Ortiz, but seems okay. Manny, well, he's that good of a hitter, and his team tries desperately to trade him every year, what do you think. A-Rod on the other hand, and this is what really pisses me off, Ass-Rod, after being traded to the Yankees, bad mouthed Showalters managerial style, and then, in another interview bad-mouthed every single one of his ex-teammates. Of course after he left the Rangers played twice as good, with virtually the same talent on the team (see #5 on things I hate about baseball).

All things considered, I think David Ortiz should be this years AL MVP. I do hope that Texiera and Young can finish in the top 6 or so, they deserve at least that. If A-Rod wins it, well, that will be just one more thing to make me like baseball even less than I do know. A few years ago, I knew everything there was to know about baseball, literally, everything. But because of the previous ten things (as well as some things that didn't make the list, I have become increasingly less interested in baseball.

Oh well, basketball season is just around the corner..... Go Mavs!!!

No comments: